One month ago today, The Roasted Shallot Food Truck was literally the hottest truck in Phoenix!! But thankfully the Phoenix Fire Department took care of that!! We had a fire break out in the walls of the truck on Friday the 13th about 30 minutes before we were scheduled to go on live TV outside Channel 12 news in downtown Phoenix. Luckily no one was hurt and the fire department was able to put it out before it spread to any other structures.
We were prepping for the food truck Friday spot on AZ Midday when we noticed the intersection of 2nd Street and Van Buren was flooded with smoke! Our first thought was that some leaves had fallen into the hood/ventilation system on top of the truck so we turned off the hood to see if it would help. As soon as we did that, thick white smoke started billowing out of every crack and crevasse around the cooking equipment. Commercial ventilation fans are so strong that we couldn’t see or smell the smoke until we turned the hood off, but by then it was too late.
We called the fire department immediately and they arrived in a matter of minutes. They attempted to extinguish the fire from where it was seeping out of the walls with no success so they removed the hood system from the top to attack it from another angle. This too proved ineffective. They were eventually forced to cut into the side and top with a circular saw in order to get an effective amount of water into the skin of the truck. After an hour and a half of cutting, prying and spraying, the last of the smoldering wall was extinguished.
A special thanks goes out the Phoenix Fire Department who showed extreme compassion and concern for us and our truck. Captain Finn of Engine 2 updated us constantly on what was going on, and assured us they would do as little damage as possible. Everyone from Engine 2 was so nice that day it made the fiery pill a little easier to swallow. One of the fire fighters even assured us that “bad things don’t happen to people who make Argentinian steak tacos” (I think he was checkin out the menu once everything died down a bit).
Although there were a lot of “bad” things happening that day, we had a great deal of support from our fellow food truckers. Our friend Kim from Luncha Libre came out while the fire was going on to make sure we were ok and our friends Rik and Mayme from Satay Hut took 4-5 hours out of their night to make sure we had transportation from the site of the fire as well as making sure we got the truck in a secure place! We cant thank you guys enough for everything you did that day!
Since the fire happened so close to the holidays things with insurance have been taking a bit longer than they would under normal circumstances. We decided that since there was nothing we could do to speed up the process we would just enjoy the holidays with friends and family and not let this get us down. It was great to feel so much support from loved ones and fellow truckers in the community.
After a month of waiting, we finally got word today that our truck is not repairable and we’ll need to find a new kitchen on wheels. We’re super excited to start shopping around for the perfect truck to get us back on the streets! We’ll be working with some great people in the industry to help us through the design of the kitchen and the new wrap!!
So begins a new chapter for The Roasted Shallot Food Truck. Keep an eye out for updates, pictures, and stories of our journey.